A genuine caring heart is sometimes classed as weak, impossible to maintain, or naive. The worst feeling someone can have is the feeling of loneliness. A 2016 survey of more than 2,000 adults in America found that 72 percent of them reported feeling lonely. These are shocking results. Loneliness is not necessarily the feeling of having nobody around you; it is more the feeling of that no one who is around you really cares.
Not only putting ourselves first but being in the moment with the person you listen to is the key!
Personal self-development courses focus on putting yourself first on the list, which is true we seem to look after anybody else but ourselves. But here is what I witnessed as a Therapist and also Life Coach, people yearned for being understood and listened to and that someone cares what they have to say! How often do you end up talking to someone only to find that they respond to you with their problems and hardly anybody seems to listen to each other at all?
When was the last time you spoke to someone who truly only listened to you? Someone who would just listen and let you empty your heart without turning your story onto them, someone who has a caring heart? It is so therapeutic when we feel that someone hears us. It is a rarity that this happens and I believe it can transform your whole life. When you start listening to people without interrupting them and being in the moment with them and listen without searching for a solution or response; this is, I believe where healing starts.
Giving someone your full attention at the single moment you share with them can help you transform everything in your life!
It transforms your whole life
It can transform your relationship with your partner, friends, family, colleagues, and managers. You might ask why? Well, when you observe the world, it feels no one truly listens and cares. What you sometimes find is that when you offload, that people might want to fix you and present solutions, but solutions are always individual, what helped one person does not necessarily will help you.
When we listen and truly care for each other the following things are happening:
- The person feels listened to and does not get interrupted; you are with this person in that moment.
- They do not feel judged
- It gets rid of the feeling of loneliness
- People open up a lot more when you listen to them and show a caring heart
- People feel appreciated
- As human beings, we always want to give back when we feel someone cares
- Broken relationships can be mended when we listen to each other
- When you care about your clients and show them your caring heart, you give more than most businesses; clients show loyalty to people who care.
How can you create a caring heart?
- Start listening to the people who talk to you, be with them in that particular moment, do not reply to them with your story, give them your time and your ears, your story does not matter at this moment.
- Reconnect with people you have not had any contact for a while, give them a call, message or email them, ask them how they are doing.
- Always tell people what they mean to you, tell them that they are important to you. We sometimes assume that people know what they mean to us, but sometimes they don’t, tell them!
- Show a caring heart without an agenda, do not expect anything back from them, please do not fake a caring heart, people feel if you mean it or not.
A caring heart is a form of compassion, at that moment when we care and listen to someone we give them the biggest gift, it is our time and our heart. This world needs more of it. Go out and try it out, you will be amazed at how much your life will change. A caring heart that listens receives it all back in abundance!
A caring heart is powerful beyond anything I witnessed, and the beautiful Maya Angelou stated it correctly:
People will forget what you said, people forget what you did, but people will never forget how you make them feel.