5 Steps of dealing with frustration when dreams/goals seem to be out of reach
Frustration, we all know it. Did you ever set a goal or wanted to follow a dream of yours only to feel you are not moving at all forward or at least not as quick as you thought you would be? Here are 5 steps for beating your frustration.
5 steps you can take to tackle your frustration:
- Is the goal realistic? Did you set yourself up for failure? You might have underestimated what you needed for your goal. Maybe the time frame was not realistic? Sometimes we think we might have had all the information only to find out that the information you have had was incorrect? Be realistic and still keep a timeframe, break it down into little goals. Celebrate little successes!!!
- Is this your goal? Are you passionate about your dream/goal? Have you set the goal/dream by yourself or are you working towards a goal that has been set by someone else and you made it your goal as you felt this is the right thing to do?
- Look at your responsibility! Are you putting the work into achieving your dream or do you end up blaming the world or other people for not being cooperative enough to achieve your dreams/goals? Yes, sometimes, of course, other people might influence this too, but be honest, how much of the responsibility do you put into the hands of others? Are you proactive or do you find excuses why goals cannot be achieved? Are you patient enough or do you put unrealistic expectations on others how quickly or how much they can support you? With what people do you surround yourself with? Are they supportive towards your goals/dreams or are they making negative comments? If so, set boundaries and surround yourself with people who support you and your dreams/goals.
- Adjust and learn! Sometimes unexpected things happen in our lives. These things can delay our goals/dreams or maybe even change our goals/dreams completely. How flexible are you? Can you adjust and still keep the focus when things are happening or not happening?
- Forgive yourself and have fun! Nobody is perfect, if you have over- or underestimated a goal/dream or your ability to achieve it in a certain time, so be it! Have fun to explore and learn new skills. It all will be helpful in one way or another. Some people enjoy the journey towards their dream/goal more than actually achieving or reaching it.
Why frustration is a fantastic tool to achieve happiness!
As with any negative emotion, it is an indicator that something is off. It can be a thought pattern or maybe a skill that is missing. Let frustration inform you what is missing. Do not worry too much. We all do it, and we can easily forget that we went through periods of frustration before.
Wishing you a Strong Heart and let the frustration be your friend and inform you.